Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Laconda dell'Amorosa - Tuscany



Pour yourself a big glass of chianti and start day dreaming about the Tuscan countryside while I tell you about Laconda dell'Amorosa.  My family and I ventured to Italy in 2009 to celebrate two milestone birthdays - my father's 60th and my - cough-cough-mumble - 30th.  Actually, I didn't even mind turning 30 because I had a big party with friends and family and then we took this amazing trip.  Now, 31, 32... might be another story!  Why can't we aways plan a big, fantastic trip to distract ourselves from age?? Anyway, our birthdays are one day apart, mine on August 23rd and his on the 24th so we've always celebrated together, which is actually a lot of fun.  I had been to Italy after I graduated college with two of my girlfriends, but this was definitely a different experience then traveling as a poor, unemployed 21 year old.  Maybe that's a whole other post of it's own - low on glamour, but high on laughs!

Our first stop in Italy was three nights in Sinalunga, Tuscany where we were fortunate enough to stay at Laconda dell'Amorosa.  I had looked on line before the trip to try to imagine what it would be like, but to actually drive through the countryside, passing farms and villages really made me feel like I was in the heart of Italy.  We drove up to the hotel and came upon this entrance, what else can I say... it's country decadent.

The whole property will take your breath away.  It really captures the history of the property while incorporating charming modern amenities.  One of the first things we did after checking in was walk around and explore all of the little nooks and crannies.  They have quaint sitting areas, a wine bar, Osteria, as well as a formal restaurant, Le Coccole, an ancient chapel, vineyard and extensive herb and vegetable garden.  Since we were exhausted from flying all night, we laid by the pool and napped.   Somehow when I travel long distances and really need to sleep, I get this paranoia/fear that I won't be able to.  Then before I know it, it's hours later and I've completely blacked out into a deep sleep.  I can rarely fall asleep in public - planes, trains, cars, etc. - yet here I was, out like a light in one of those comfy lounge chairs.


After our naps we went looking for an afternoon snack at Osteria, which doubles as the breakfast room in the morning.  I know I would be an incredibly happy person if I could hang out here every afternoon sipping wine, eating local pecorino cheese and salumi.  


After my sister managed to explode and melt her American hair straightener, we headed to Le Coccole for dinner.  I was so excited to eat here because the space alone looked so italian and rustic.  Originally, these were the stables and they've tried to preserve some of that by keeping the brick walls and wood beam ceilings.  Le Coccole uses local meats, cheeses and of course produce from the garden for all of their dishes.  The garden is by far my dream garden.  I'm a city girl now and yes, every year I try to grow tomatoes on my roof unsuccessfully.  I have mastered kitchen window basil though!  This garden puts my window basil to shame... I can see my window basil cowering behind the paper towels right now in embarrassment.  The food here was at another level and looking back at my journal from the trip I described it as, "Amazing, the freshest, cleanest food... just perfect."  After dinner we took our wine out to the patio and had a dessert of - what else - more cheese!  The next two nights we had dinner off property, but we always came back to Le Coccole for wine and cheese.  We are in Italy after all, so we had to take advantage!

Le Coccole

My dream garden
The vineyard


My family and I loved our time in Tuscany and much of that is thanks to Laconda dell'Amorosa. The accommodations, staff and setting were unforgettable. To be able to stay at a hotel for three nights and leave feeling like you made friends is what traveling is all about.  This was a more than a hotel though; it was an experience.    

Tuscany is everything you picture and want Italy to be with it's picturesque hill towns, fresh food, delicious wine and the warm, friendly people.  We were so sad to leave but at the end of the trip, we did manage to sneak back to the country and do one more day exploring other hill towns!  I have so many things to share about my favorite area of Italy, I will be sure to write more soon.

Buona sera!

Love, Lizzie


No comments:

Post a Comment